Z. Heys & Sons
Z. HEYS AND SONS, South Arthurlie, Barrhead, Glasgow. Telegraphic Address: “Heys, Barrhead”.
Glasgow has for many generations past enjoyed the distinction of being one of the leading centres of the textile branches of industry in the Kingdom, and at the present time — from the number and magnitude of the houses engaged in the trade — well maintains the supremacy it has so long held in this direction. This very gratifying result is greatly attributable to the exertions of firms of the representative type of Messrs. Z. Heys & Sons, of South Arthurlie, Barrhead, to sustain the high reputation of the district for the excellence of its textile productions, which have gained for this house a deservedly leading position in the markets of the world.
The business is of very old standing, the works having been in existence for upwards of half-a-century, and were partially destroyed in the memorable disastrous flood occasioned by the bursting of the Glanderston Reservoir in 1842. At that time the motive power for driving the machinery in the works was derived from a huge water wheel, one of the largest in the Kingdom, and this being swept away by the flood, steam power was substituted. About this date (1842) the business was acquired by Mr. Zechariah Heys, who was succeeded at his death by his sons, the present head of the firm being one of them, with whom are joined in the proprietory his son and two nephews, trading under the style indicated at the head of this notice.
The works are of very extensive proportions, the buildings alone occupying an area of about seven acres, and, with the grounds, court yards, &c., cover a total extent of about thirty acres. The buildings are conveniently adapted for perfecting the various processes of the trade in each department, and are supplied throughout with improved plant and machinery of modern construction, motive force being derived from steam engines of 500 or 600 horse power combined, and far which are provided sixteen large boilers by Penman and Wilson, of Glasgow.
The various departments comprise the singeing room — in which a powerful machine, driven by steam, is employed for this purpose — and the “Grey” room, where the calicoes are stamped and prepared for the singeing process. The “white” goods come next in order and occupy a large building of four flats, each of which is fitted with numbered cages for storing the immense stock of bleached calicoes held by the firm ready for printing. Adjoining are the laboratory, colour making and cambric finishing departments, and a large room where the cambrics are folded by machinery and finally prepared for the market.
Next to this is the sewing room, in which a large number of sewing machines are at work ; and here also is the machinery for cropping, brushing, and preparing the material for printing. The rooms appropriated to this purpose contain twenty-seven machines, printing from one to ten colours, and each of which is driven by a separate engine.
The other buildings in this portion of the works include dyeing, soaping, drying, and washing departments, each provided with the necessary appliance and labour economising machinery for these purposes, and here is also located the stentering department, for which five machines of this description are provided. An important department of the works is represented in the workshops devoted to engraving the rollers for printing, which, having first been highly polished for this purpose, are subjected to this process by skilful hands from patterns designed by the artists employed for this purpose. Accommodation is provided for engraving in large, well-lighted rooms. Here, also, are stored the immense number of printing rollers — amounting to many thousands — required in the business, and which, stacked in numbered racks, present an imposing array, affording a very good outline of the resources of the firm in this direction.
The remaining portion of the premises is appropriated to the joiners’ and engineers’ departments. The bleaching works are situated a distance of a quarter of a mile away from the main buildings, with which they are in telephonic communication, and are fully equipped for the various processes of the trade.
The trade throughout is one of great magnitude and importance, the works presenting at all times a scene of busy industrial activity, providing constant employment for about 600 hands in the several departments, the entire productions of the establishment for one year amounting to the almost incredible total of 18,000 miles of finished materials.
Back to Index of Firms (1891)