W. & R. Hatrick & Co.
W. & R. Hatrick & Co., Pharmaceutical Chemists and Wholesale and Export Druggists, 152 to 170, Renfield Street.-
William Hatrick, M.Ph.S., served his apprenticeship with the Apothecariesí Company. Commencing business on his own account in Paisley, in 1830, he successfully carried on one of the largest retail businesses in the west of Scotland, where he was widely respected. In 1860, with his son Robert, they started business in Turnerís Court, Glasgow, as wholesale chemists and druggists, their trade gradually increasing in importance. Their warehouse being required as part of the St. Enoch Station, and the father retiring from the business, his son James was assumed as a partner, and the firm removed to North Frederick Street. In 1881 they acquired their present extensive premises, 152 to 170, Renfield Street, consisting of three large flats and cellarage (communicating together from goods entrance by hydraulic hoist), which they admirably fitted up for the advantageous carrying on of a large business.
Their stock, which is extensive, consists of drugs, chemicals, oils, drysalteries, spices, essential oils, chemical and surgical instruments, and proprietary articles ; indeed, almost everything pertaining to pharmacy ; and they have, as an adjunct, laboratory and grinding mills at Bishop Street, Port Dundas, within a few minutesí walk of their warehouse. The partners are well known in the community, respected in financial circles, and enjoy the confidence of their customers, consisting of the leading physicians, chemists and druggists, merchants and export shippers, in the west of Scotland.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)