WAS born in Glasgow, 7th June, 1868, and is a son of the late Mr. William Mackintosh, Glasgow, and of Margaret, daughter of Mr. Charles Rennie, Ayr. He was educated at Allen Glen's School, and, deciding to take up architecture as a profession, he became a student at the Glasgow School of art. After a distinguished career there, he gained in 1890 the Greek Thomson Travelling Scholarship, and left Glasgow to study in France and Italy. On his return he went into the office of Messrs. John Honeyman & Keppie, of which firm he later became a partner. He has executed many important works, including the Glasgow School of Art, Scotland Street Public School, etc. The Willow Tea House in Sauchiehall Street, and three others of Miss Cranston's tea rooms are from his designs ; and examples of his Domestic work are to be found in Glasgow, Kilmacolm, Helensburgh, Loch Goil, Dumgoyne, Killearn, Vienna, Berlin, Dresden, etc., etc.
Mr. Mackintosh was elected an honorary member of the Austrian Secession in 1900, and was awarded the diploma of honour for his work as architect of the Scottish Section of the International Exhibition of Art in Turin in 1902. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1907, and a member of the Glasgow Institute of Architects in 1908.
He married in 1900, Margaret, elder daughter of Mr. John Macdonald, of Chesterton, Staffordshire.
Index of Glasgow Men (1909)